MCTD logo

Credentials Offered at MCTD

MCTD provides Adult Learners with the opportunity to receive an AMS Credential at the appropriate level based on the Adult Learner’s completion of the Teacher Training Program and his or her educational background. After completing the MCTD Academic and Practicum Phases, the Adult Learner is recommended by the MCTD Program Director to AMS as a candidate to receive an AMS Credential. Ultimately, AMS evaluates the Adult Learner’s information from MCTD and AMS issues the appropriate Montessori credential.

As stated in the AMS Handbook for Teacher Education Program Affiliation, Adult Learners may earn the following credentials:

  • AMS Early Childhood Full Credential (2½ through 6-year-olds) is for Adult Learners with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or its equivalent. Adult Learners with a college degree from outside the US may earn this credential if a credential evaluation verifies that the degree is equivalent to that of a U.S. 4-year degree from an accredited college or university. The credential evaluation must use a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member organization.
  • AMS Associate Early Childhood Credential is for Adult Learners without a Bachelor’s degree but with a high school diploma from a recognized secondary school or GED, or for those whose credentials are not verified as equivalent to a U.S. 4-year degree from an accredited college or university. [Because local and state regulations for the qualifications necessary for employment as an Early Childhood teacher vary, our Adult Learners must recognize that an Associate credential may limit their employment opportunities. AMS strongly encourages holders of the Associate Credential to obtain a Bachelor’s degree within 7 years of receiving the AMS Associate Early Childhood Credential.]
  • AMS Non-U.S. Credential is for Adult Learners holding a Bachelor’s degree from an institution outside of the U.S. that has not been considered the equivalent of a 4-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited US college or university by an accepted credential evaluation service, if the degree is recognized in the issuing country as meeting the national standards. This credential will state the degree and the country from which it was awarded.